Advice - Supporting an employee with a disability
You will find advice on finding a job or an internship
Support for a person with a disability within your company takes place during the various stages of their professional career.
During daily work
When making career development decisions
The maintenance arrangements are specific according to the handicap. It is sometimes necessary to ask for additional time, specific spaces (calm, natural light, etc.), or adaptation of the tests.
The difficulty is that candidates do not systematically share their handicap, if they have one.
There are 3 scenarios:
– The candidate shares his handicap on his own initiative. You can therefore propose the arrangements according to its condition by referring to our specific guides.
– The candidate does not share his disability on his own initiative. You can specify when making contact for the interview planning that you are an inclusive company and that, if you are notified in advance, you can adapt the interview if necessary. Following this clarification, the candidate shares his handicap. You can therefore propose the arrangements according to its condition by referring to our specific guides. This can also be done at the start of interviews, although flexibility may be less.
– The candidate does not share their disability on their own, nor do they share it when you specify that you are an inclusive business. In this case, it is difficult to adapt the exchanges. If, during the interview, the candidate shares their disability, you can
Try to adapt the interview directly
Offer to resume the interview later with the appropriate arrangements
Daily at work
The daily work life of a person with a disability differs little from that of a person without a disability. Certain adjustments and follow-up may be necessary.
– The amenities are very important. They make it possible to adapt the position so that the person with a disability can be in the best conditions.
– The implementation of arrangements is specific according to the handicap and sometimes, according to the person. AGEFIPH supports you in setting up arrangements and can reimburse all or part
Monitoring and feeling
Disability can involve additional challenges in the professional world. It is therefore important to carry out regular monitoring (monthly or quarterly) so that people with disabilities can report their needs and / or share their feelings. It is also important to have a point of contact available when needed if there is an emergency.
The relationship with the operational team
Despite the arrangements in place, working with people on the team can be complicated. Colleagues of the person with a disability may be prejudiced or not understand the importance of accommodations. Beyond doing regular follow-up with the person with a disability, it may be important to follow up with the people with whom they collaborate
The career development for a person with a disability can sometimes be more complicated to determine. In many companies, a skills grid is put in place, and sometimes the handicap does not allow all the boxes to be ticked.
– One solution may be to favor the principle of equity or the principle of equality. This implies taking into account the skills and constraints of a person with a disability, accepting that certain skills are below expectations (if these are directly affected by the disability). In exchange, certain skills will have to be at a higher level than that which is normally expected.
– The higher the responsibilities, the greater the requirement. Thus, the question may arise of the legitimacy of promoting a person with a disability and of their ability to meet the requirements of the position.
– In the majority of cases, a person with a disability will be just as competent as a person without a disability. It will have its strengths, and its weaknesses. If the person is already working within your company, the arrangements are already in place. Sometimes, some training may be necessary, especially when management is necessary (this also applies to people without disabilities).
– The challenge is not to hesitate to promote a person because they are disabled, but to take into account all of their skills and attitude.